July 26th


More Fog, Ferries, Current and low supplies – beer, wine, water low

July 26th we departed Tashmoo without going aground although the boat before us did and had to get towed off a sandbar. The trip across Vineyard Sound was something I would not like to repeat. Peasoup Fog with BIG Ferries coming and going in all directions. Big toots blasted in our ears as Ed watched the AIS to figure out the CPA (closest point of attack) and see if we were safe from these monsters. We didn’t get any photos as there was way too much navigating happening at the time. One close ferry shot would have been spetacular if I could have captured him coming out of the fog about two hundred feet behind us tooting all the way. This trip to Woods Hole (you have heard about that on PBS) was only 6 long miles. It was necessary to time the arrival through the cut with a slight current. The guide gives Woods Hole five pages of current info for passage. The current in the passage is really worse than Hell Gate, incredible turbulence most of the time with NO SLACK water EVER. We tried to get there with minimum current but had some against. It was a wild ride but our sturdy engine motored against the current and made headway.

All was fine until this power boat goosed his engines as he passed and kicked up a wake in the middle of the worst current right next to us. Luckily I was on the poop deck with the tiller in one hand and my arm wrapped around the boom gallows with the other, very secure. If I had been standing I do think I might have gone overboard. The boat swayed to and fro for about two minutes. I tried desparately to keep it steady and in the process the Ipad took off into the air and crashed onto the cabin sole. The protective glass cracked but the machine seems to be working. Ed yelled some obsenties at the guy – first for the summer- and this was the first time anything went flying in years. We have the boat really secure for all events. There was no need for that guy to do what he did. Boats are responsible for their wake but he flew away into the distance never to be seen again or did not even know what he did.

At this area of most current, TowBoat and TowUSA sit ready to help boats in need. They are sort of like vultures just waiting for an engine to break down. It is actually a good thing they are there if you need them as bad events could happen quickly and cause a boat to be dashed up onto the rocks. We made it safely through this area on to quiet Hadley Harbor where one of the boats needed to tow a boat back to its home. The captain greeted us as he was passing by our boat.

Handley is surrounded by vacation homes which are huge mansions obviously old Martha’s Vineyard money. The money and opulence here is really beyond belief. We are in the land of the Kennedy’s. Three nights were spent in this quiet spot as we waited for another front to pass us by with big winds and rain. We did swim in the cold water on one nice day and it was refreshing. Time to make a pizza in the rain and run the water maker to refill our empty tanks.

Kingman Yacht Center – water, pump out, garbage, shower and groceries!!!

 A perfect stop to refresh – two nights on a mooring with everything we need and a restaurant…. swordfish tacos and crab cakes as well as great fish chowder and cold white wine. I could stay here forever. I love these little oasis’s in the sea that come to our need when we really need them. It was a short sail from Hadley to Kingman and worth every mile.

 Two nights went fast and we are now again at anchor just outside Kingman which is near Falmouth, MA on Cape Cod. Eating some great veggies we bought – corn on the cob with ham, boiled potatoes and cole slaw. We are five miles from the Cape Cod Canal and this next leg again has to be timed with the tide. The canal can run at 6 knots so we need to be with the current or we won’t make it. The plan is to run the canal and continue on to Sesuit to meet the best man from our wedding, Carl Pierleoni who has a house on the cape. We have three nights booked at the local marina and plan to have a great time with Carl. It has been difficult to hit this mark but I am sure it will be well worth the effort once we arrive.

After leaving our mooring we spent the night about one mile away off a beautiful beach. Sunday morning we made our way to the beginning of the canal. Thunderstorms and rain are predicted once more so we thought best to be secure and let the weather pass. Noon tomorrow we would make our passage through the canal with the current and hopefully some sunshine. Once more we were “Lucky Enough” to get a slip at the end of the canal in Sandwich, MA. so we don’t have to do the canal and Sesuit in one day. This makes our arrival at the Sesuit Marina much easier. If we leave Sandwich Tuesday AM we will get to our marina mid day.

Lucky again, the wind and rain missed us. Before leaving the anchorage Mike Campbel rowed over with two fresh eggs from his chickens and sticky buns for breakfast. What a fun treat. He has a Marshall open cat boat and loved the lines of our boat.

We entered the canal at 11 30 for the 6 mile trip. We had the current with us and arrived at our slip after an uneventful trip at 12:30. There were many large wakes from passing power boats but it was an easy trip. When we got to the end of the canal the wind was funneling through. The trip started to get choppy and we were glad to stop for the night and continue again tomorrow. We hope in the morning the wind will be down and our canal exit and 15 mile trip to East Dennis will be calm. We need to prepare for ta spaghetti dinner promised by Carl and his family.

We had to pass under three bridges. The first bridge was a railroad bridge that can close. We were happy it was open when we approached. If it is closed you have to maintain station until it opens. The bridge clearance is fine for our boat but it is always frightening as you approach any bridge to really believe that you could make it under the span.

All along the canal were huge houses. They were so big you would think they could be hotels but I do think they are just summer residences for the OLD MONEY people of Cape Cod. A tour boat transits the canal each day with a running commentary for its passengers.

Helpful Tow Boat

Pizza with the last of the beer!!!!

Waiting for the frontal passage and better weather to leave

Nachos Supremo

Beautiful Kingman Yacht Center with our boat on a mooring just behind my right ear

One mile before the canal we had a rolly anchorage because of passing power boat wakes. It was necessary to launch our secret weapon – The Rocker Stopper – This funny home-made device stopped our roll and gave us a comfortable night while we waited for the current to turn for us so we could make a passage through the canal the following day on Monday, Aug 2nd.

Mike Campbell who lives in a house overlooking our anchorage stopped by to give us two fresh eggs from his chickens and home made pecan sticky buns. We have met wonderful kind people duruing this trip. It is our blessing.